Monday, July 6, 2009

PIGEON GUILLAMOT

Betcha' can't pronounce that name... Don't ask me, I'll just make it up.

Hubby came home the other day telling me that he got "hit in the head by a puffin on the beach" that day. Turns out that this was not an entirely literal description of the event, but kinda' close.

We've known for years that some sort of sea birds nest in these holes




We were told that they were puffins

But it was strange that we've never seen puffins...


Until Saturday when I saw a Guillamot just off shore with a fish...and then it flew into one of the holes! "Ah-hah!" I said to myself "they're not puffin holes, they're Guillamot holes!" Well, I didn't say exactly that, but that resembles how it went.

And then...
I looked again and saw a Guillamot egg. My day was complete- no, my WEEK was complete! Isn't it the most beautiful water-colored egg you've ever seen? I think so. I bet the Guillamot Parents agree with me.
The egg is slightly larger, and slightly more eliptical, than a large chicken egg.

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!I bet you had to resist bringing it home! That is GORGEOUS! and your photo is wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete