Friday, June 19, 2009

SUMMERTIME, SUMMERTIME, SUM-SUM-SUMMERTIME...

The wanderings and ramblings of June... Enjoy.


It's mid-June. Strawberry season. YUM. The dryness & heat has made it a great crop this year, and the berries pretty much picked themselves & jumped into the box. It only took me 1/2 hour to pick 20lbs. It took me much longer to make jam and get some whole ones in the freezer.


D went out to his truck last night, and found this wriggling on the sidewalk. He tried to pick it up, but it kept trying to bite him. He finally nabbed it in a bucket, and after taking pictures (while it screamed the entire time, who knew moles could scream!) we released it in the semi-wild park over the dike. I hope it is what was digging up my garden, and that it is gone (and the digging will cease!)

{Polaris}
That crazy cat! She LOVESLOVESLOVES corn on the cob. Go figure.


My boy's bounty. Wish I had pictures of him, in goggles, swimming underwater to nab them (it looks like we trapped them in the live trap, but that is not so). They are going to happily dwell in the grandparent's pond.

Ok, maybe they won't be so happy about that dwelling.


My boy & my dog- for once, at peace


Beauty after the rain


A Mama Partridge in a Pine Tree! She had babies hiding in the grass below (I never found them!), so she wouldn't fly even when I was 4' away!

And he went hunting, on some friends property, to attempt to eliminate some obnoxious vermin. He was moderately successful.


Hubby went fishing...the traditional method wasn't working, and he saw a 2-3' bass up a culvert inlet pipe... This excercise did not result in a fish however.


We went over the mountains & through the woods to camp on the other side. It was a WONDERFUL weekend! (Notice my new I-can't-believe-how-much-I-love-it digital camera?)


The baby Pheasants, all teenager-grown-up. They love their brush pile.


Itty Bitty Baby Quail! Notice the thimble? They are TINY when they hatch!
We currently are up to 14 baby quail (hatched in the incubator).
Little Sis has named them Hobbles (has leg/hip issues), Jabber (super cute name!), Theodore and Rosy (I hear that it will be "Roosevelt" if it turns out to be a boy).

Dinosaur- aka Dinner. These are broiler chickens, but we think they resemble dinosaurs! I'll post a picture later of their feet- they're HUGE!

We went from barely any eggs, to almost 3 dozen a week!


When they were born, I fully intended to give a weekly progress report-in-pictures so you could watch them grow. Well, here they are at about 8wks old. So much for the weekly thing! They're very curious, so come flocking to the door whenever you walk by. They're weaned now, and Mama Rabbit (Bluebell) is frolicking freely in the backyard.

Our very obedient, seafood loving cat. She sat there and stared and smelled, but never touched that shrimp (even when I left the room for a few minutes!). If cats can lust, she did.

You'd think he hated crab, but the look must mean "I'm a tough crab catcher- I caught them with bare hands (and feet)". He & Polaris feasted like kings that night!

2 comments:

  1. !!!!!!! I love the pics! My old cat Zach ( the black one) LOVED corn on the cob too, and cantelope rinds, go figure! I really want to meet that cat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to meet that cat. We're hoping she breaks the world record for cat life span (32 yrs).

    ReplyDelete